Community Arts Council
Brick Wall Sculpture
Arts on Broadway
Downtown Sugarcreek, Ohio

Panel 9 - Sugarcreek

Welcome to the Village of Sugarcreek, founded in 1882, where the past is still present and traditions are still celebrated. Local history is on display at the Alpine Hills Museum; buildings that have housed the Swiss Hat Restaurant and R.D. Burger Hardware Store—note the depiction of the unusual old bicycle in the window--remain in the downtown area. The earliest Tuscarawas County Soap Box Derby began in Sugarcreek in 1936. Later all five sons of Ernest and Mary Raber distinguished themselves by participating: three went on to compete nationally—Eric placed 6th in the All-American in 1972, Mark placed 2nd in 1974 and Phillip was 2nd in the Jr. Division in 1976. One of the winning cars can be viewed at the Museum. The train depot of the Ohio Central Railroad can be seen at its original location across from the home of The Budget newspaper office. The water tower depicted in the panel was removed in 2013. The old-time traditions of closing Main Street for sledding by the children and singing by local carolers are fondly remembered, but have given way to the annual celebration of “Christmas in the Village.” The horse-drawn trolley takes visitors on a tour of the Village. See if you can locate the Peace Pole at the First Mennonite Church in the sculpture and the Partridge in a Pear Tree, on which pears created by local artists are hung each Christmas season by the Community Arts Council.